Italy will assist victims of last week’s deadly earthquakes in Turkey and Syria “for as long as necessary,” foreign minister Antonio Tajani said on Thursday, according to a foreign ministry statement.
“The Italian people are watching with great interest the shocking news and images of the devastation caused by the earthquakes,” Tajani told Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu by phone on Thursday, according to the foreign ministry.
“Unfortunately, Italians are all too familiar with the devastation caused by earthquakes,” Tajani added, as quoted in the statement.
“In the name of our friendship, we will support the Turkish government in its rescue efforts for as long as necessary,” Tajani told Cavusoglu, according to the statement.
Throughout the “Tajani underlined Italy’s closeness to Turkey’s authorities and citizens for the loss of human lives in a “long and cordial” phone call, which followed one early on 6 February when the first earthquake struck, according to the statement.
Cavusoglu, for his part, expressed special gratitude to Italy for the field hospital and volunteers made available by the northwest Piedmont region, according to the statement.
According to the statement, Tajani thanked Cavusoglu for the efforts made by Turkish authorities to locate Italians caught up in the quakes (which struck west of the city of Gaziantep and in Kahramanmaras Province).
Tajani “The statement expressed full support for Turkish rescue teams working in Kahramanmaras, where an Italian rescue team has also been deployed.
Over 40,000 people were killed in the magnitude 7.8 and 7.7 earthquakes in Turkey and Syria, which left 200,000 people homeless and affected 13.5 million people.
Tag: news, Ukraine news, news today, news articles, breaking news, breaking news today, daily news, news headlines, news headlines today, news in Ukraine, latest news, news today USA, news today Ukraine, news united states, news USA today.